Conventional Door Lock Or Smart Lock – Which One Can Be Your Best Companion?
Security is one of the most considerable concerns of homeowners nowadays. This rule applies even more prominently to owners of commercial spaces. So, many of them are considering changing to smart lock technology to assure that they have recorded entry data and also to ensure safe remote management. However, some of them still wonder about the level of security that these devices provide. Now, the question they have is whether smart locks are better as compared to conventional door locks. “Will they provide better protection to my family, home and valuables?” is the question that many people have. Now, a comparison between the two will help with making a smart choice:
Conventional door locks:
Locksmiths generally feel the conventional door locks as butter and bread. It will not be an overstatement to say that conventional door locks have been the cornerstone of residential security. In the present situation, there is a wide range of locks available for homeowners to provide different levels of security. Right from the creation of electronic locks, the term “conventional door locks” is being used. The term is used for denoting the classic deadbolt and cylinder locking mechanism. Apart from being used in home security, these kinds of locks are also used in light commercial applications. They do not contain any automatic function and they are generally operated manually. The mechanical function that locks and unlocks the door is either activated with the help of a traditional key or with the help of a thumb lock or push-button lock.
Smart door locks:
Property owners can find both smart devices and locks that they can retrofit with their conventional locks. One of the important reasons for the popularity of these locks is that they enable keyless entry and also they help with unlocking exterior doors remotely from a computer or a mobile app. This will be a handy feature if a person or one of his family members is locked out. It can be synced with the smart home system or smart doorbell and can be used to let repair workers, cleaners and guests to permit in-home package delivery. Even, many versions will help with tracking real-time data entry and traffic through the door.
Pros of the keyless entry system:
The missing key problem is completely eliminated with the smart lock technology as you can very well understand. Here are the benefits of keyless entry system:
- You can keep a watch on the entry from and to your home. You can assign a particular code to each user. It means that you can keep track of who can get in and get out.
- There will not be the problem of missing keys. At times, you will have to hand over the keys to your neighbors when you are away. In this case, you need not have to feel concerned about them losing the keys. When your maid will have to get in to clean your home when you are away, you can just give her a code and then can disable it.
- Also, it eliminates the need for emergency keys. You need not have to look for a place to hide those keys in a place in your home.
Cons of keyless entry system:
- You might think that smart locks are beneficial in many ways. But, you should know that they have cons as well like those mentioned below:
- If you have trouble remembering codes, it can be troublesome for you to handle the smart lock.
- Keyless systems can fail in the operation when there is a power failure.
- Above all, the cost of keyless entry systems will be much higher as compared to the conventional system.
Now, the choice is up to you to decide between conventional and smart door lock. What have you decided? Share your thoughts here.